The school has a voluntary board, the Governing Council, which has 19 members who meet three times a year to oversee the sound management of the school. The principal, who reports to Governing Council, leads the school.
The Governing Council currently consists of:
- Ms Liz Arden (Head of Finance and Treasury, Swazi Bank)
- Lord Richard Attenborough (Film Maker, Goodwill Ambassador for UNICEF, UWC Patron)
- Ms Marjorie Balarin (Educationalist, former Headmistress, St Markâ€™s College, Swaziland)
- Prof Derek Blackman (Former Director General of the IB, former Vice Chair of UWC)
- Mr Gavyn Davies (Economist, former Chief Economist and MD of Goldman Sachs International, former Chairman of the BBC)
- Ms Dudu Dlamini (Swaziland National Director, SOS Childrenâ€™s Villages)
- Mr Monwabisi Fandeso (Consultant, former CEO of Shell Southern Africa)
- Mr Thulani Gcabashe (Energy Consultant, former CEO, Eskom Holdings)
- Mr John Henwood (Attorney)
- Ms Catherine Hunter (Educational Consultant)
- Mr Michael Linden (Retired senior educationalist, former Principal of Giyani College of Education teacher training college, former senior member of WK staff)
- Mr Jeremy Lock (CEO, African Destination Tours)
- Ms Treasure Maphanga (Director, Trade and Industry, African Union Commission, former Chief, Office for Africa, International Trade Centre, Geneva)
- Dr Mark Mills (CEO, iCare Africa Group of Hospitals)
- Mr Laurence Nodder (Principal, Waterford Kamhlaba)
- Prof Gwyn Prins (London School of Economics, Chairman of the Waterford School Trust)
- Mr Clark Thom, Chairman (Businessman, retired Chartered Accountant)
- Ms Sarah Jane Thomson (Attorney)
- Prof Alan Whiteside (Health Economist, University of KwaZulu Natal and University of East Anglia)
The Student Representative Council
The SRC is the highest level of student governance within the school. Their duties include organising school events, reporting student greivances to the school executive and providing a two way medium of communication between students and staff. Once a term the SRC reports back to the Governing Council.
The SRC executive consists of the Chairperson and Secretary-Treasurer. The holders of those positions in the year 2012-2013 are:
Chairperson: Oliver Mills
Secretary-Treasurer: Wabantu Hlophe
For more information on the SRC, click here.
The Parent-Staff Association
Aims of the PSA
The PSA is made up of a core group of interested parents and staff which will work with the administration to represent the parent community at Waterford.
Work on policy issues by way of offering parent perspective and viewpoints which the administration and governing counsel will consider when making decisions affecting the school.
Act as a supporting and advisory body to the Principal and the school
Foster communication to increase and improve the understanding of the Waterford Kamhlaba educational experience among parents, staff and students
Represent the PSA at Governing Council meetings
Offer additional assistance to International students who are unable to connect with link parents
Raise funds and encourage sponsorship for the school and its various projects.
- Provide input and feedback to the Principal and school on current issues
- Review proposals and allocate PSA funds
- Provide input and feedback from parents and respond to parents
- Provide general representation and public relations for the school
From March - April New members join voluntarily after the Annual General Meeting
Meetings are held once a month during term time.
Chairperson: Jenni Hammond
Secretary: Lucienne Driehaus
Treasurer: Joseph Botti
Teacher Representative: Ramila Patel
Development Officer: Anne Muller
Principal: Laurence Nodder
Ashley Green Thompson